Saturday, May 8, 2010

My own Epiphany


My own epiphany

& so concludes Filament 2010, Final Year Project Screening of WKWSCI students graduating batch of 2010 (:

Hahas when Tracy asked me which film I liked best I hesitated because I knew each appealed to me differently. I guess I shall answer that here.

I think the first night was worth cabbing down for, even though I didn't know any of the filmmakers personally. Except JJ's reputation for being a great director of photography (;

Masperati was bold & unconventional, I would never have tried to shoot a whole sequence handheld like they did. It was a different storytelling method that I wasn't very used to. It touched the sensitive topics of singapore politics & religion. Interesting depiction of what a dystopic world Singapore can become.

Riding East has the most interesting plot out of all the films. Interesting in a light hearted manner. It was random yet random in a humorous way that made audiences laugh. Easy to understand and relatable. Narration was in chronological order, which worked well for the sequence.

Soi Chang is just 100% well shot, well shot, well shot. It was stunning. All the shots were well composed & beautiful. Every single shot. & it was amazing because it's a docu. & it is not easy to get such shots for docu because there's only so much planning that you can do. Junjie is really talented. & I really admire this team for going all the way to Thailand, 2 different parts of Thailand to shoot this docu about elephants & the controversial issue of street begging.

A light in the darkness is really high budget to the max. & they really had lots of sponsors. The cast was huge with many supporting actors. The costumes & props were well done. The film was very emotional and heartrending. Just personally, the series of flashbacks intercut with the conversation between the monk & the Japanese soldier became too predictable after the first 2 times. & the crowd wasn't very good at acting @_@ Apart from that, the topic of the monks' compassion and love for people, even in the midst of hard times like World War II is truly heart-rending. Really applaud them for picking a subject matter so challenging to shoot.

A New Hope! (: I guess I am kind of biased because I know this is a team of 4 girls who braved storms to go to Thailand alone, carrying & lugging the heavy equipment, the tripods, the castor wheels, the crazy camera that is so heavy! & their topic of people with HIV, having contracted it with nobody to blame, a girl born with it from her parents and a woman who contracted it probably during her wild times when she was younger possibly from drugs. This is a docu that really taught me that God has a plan for everyone, even these people who seem really unfortunate. I really love the sunflower field & the playground shots. Those really remain etched in my mind. I would say this will be the most touching of all 8 films.

Epiphany (: Seeing it for the 5th time, I still notice different things each time. Each time I watch it, I pick up more meaning in why the sequence was shot in this way, why there was a pull focus, why there was a low angle shot, why they placed this particular background sound, why this framing of this actress. & this all helps me make sense of the film. Today, I noticed the drilling sound during the flashback portion in the kitchen which I never picked up in the first 4 times, strangely enough?

This quote in the film never fails to strike a chord in me.

Gratitude bestows reverence,
allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies,
those transcendent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life & the world
-John Milton

I think I don't need to comment on the cinematography, it speaks for itself. I remember the first time Charn gave advice & talked to me about my COM206 assignment 2, he said, every shot must capture the attention. Every shot has to be aesthetically appealing. Every shot has to have meaning.
"What do you mean? How do I achieve that?"
I think I found my answer as I opened my small eyes wider to absorb all around me.

The acting was very good, especially Ah Ma, really touching expressions captured there. After watching the making of, I still marvel at how the sound turned out so well when initially it wasn't even synced. [That is the ULTIMATE nightmare of all editors]

Post-love is an interesting docu of a topic that everyone loves. Sex & elderly love. The shot with the lady posing on the beach is my favourite. The interviewees were very interesting. It was great work with the subtitles, defying the usual convention. Apt & tasteful emphasis of words with the subs.

Zombies saved my cold dead heart is the kind of film that appeals to suckers for romance. I think they got really bold actresses & actors, who did a fantastic job. It's a narrative that focuses alot on emotions. Interesting imaginary scenarios portrayed in a cheeky manner.

I think everyone put in a lot of hard work. I can imagine the euphoria that comes from standing at the sides (cause the guests you invited are sitting) & observing how the crowd reacts to each part of the film after 1 whole year of hard work.

Guofeng asked me why I wanted to go into broadcast during the intermission. & I said, "Because broadcast has a way of influencing people the other divisions can't." No, that's not it.

Just tonight, before I typed this entry, God reminded me why.

I remember the tears I shed watching "Facing the Giants" in my room. & God was there with me. & I watched Fireproof after that. Maybe that's why.. That's probably when it all started subconsciously.

The day I stepped into WKWSCI, I told myself, Chloe, you are die-die going into Journ ok? Nothing else!!

Santhi commented that she came into WKW planning to do broadcast but now she wants to do Journ, I came into WKW planning to do journ but now I want to do broadcast. It's interesting, isn't it, how God has a way of making things work out differently? & how our plans are never higher than His...

There is so much power through these lenses that we hold & compose through. There is so much we could change and raise awareness of if we reach the masses. There is so much potential in this industry, if only there weren't all the ugliness and atrocities that come with it & some of the people in this industry.

& the media is for the masses. If we are to serve the masses, we need to be giving them what's important & not what the media barons or people want.

I can't change the industry or the way things are done. I don't even know if I will survive amidst all the throat-cutting & back-stabbing. But... I can sure change how I perceive & handle matters.


Take heart, God is with me! (:
I dream... I really dream. I dream of the day I can make films or shows that depict what are truly important to me. What the masses need to know. One that can strike the chord-strings of others.

& the learning journey continues. It's going to be tough taking this path! [Esp with such a steep learning curve, crazy competition & my parents telling me I can never make it in the broadcast sector with my character] But heys, now I really have a clearer end in mind, don't I? Thank God for my own epiphany today ^^

As for my favourite film, I will say it's a draw between Soi Chang & Epiphany (: But of course, every single one of the people behind all the projects deserves applause and the highest accolade.

*applause*